Online Learning Support
SCC offers many fully and partially online classes to help you
meet your educational goals in a flexible environment.
Online Learning Support
Online classes are conducted through Canvas, our LMS (learning management system).
Please view Quick Tips and Online Learning Tools below for more information.
- Many instructors send emails the week before class begins. Check your SCC email and/or Canvas Inbox. (Learn how to set up Insite email forwarding and Canvas notification preferences.)
- Make sure your web browser is up-to-date. Chrome, Firefox, and Safari all work well with Canvas, (though some Canvas tools like Proctorio will require Chrome).
- Although the Canvas app is useful and convenient, you will likely want to work on a laptop or desktop for many of your online learning experiences.
- Log into Canvas the first day of the semester. There may be assignments for you to complete early in the week, and some instructors may drop students who don’t complete work as “no shows.”
- Learn Canvas navigation tips.
- Don’t see the class you need online? You may be eligible to take the course online at one of our partner colleges through Finish Faster.
Online Learning Tools
Check out support for using popular tools with Canvas:
- Canvas Student app
- Download the Canvas Student via apple or google play for convenient access to Canvas. (Please note, while the app is convenient and students can manage much of their coursework from a mobile device, some Canvas features only function on a laptop or desktop computer.)
- InSite email, including Microsoft tools
- Access your free version of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and more through InSite.
- InSite app
- Download the InSite app via apple or google play for convenient access to SCC course scheduling, email, and more.
- All SCC students have free access to online tutoring within Canvas. Click NetTutor from the course navigation menu of your Canvas courses to connect to a tutor.
- ConferZoom is a video-conferencing tool that instructors may use for hosting remote lectures or for online office hours. This tool allows for screen-sharing, live discussion, live chat and more. Learn how to use ConferZoom within Canvas or how to join a ConferZoom session as a web participant.
- Cranium Cafe
- Cranium Cafe is a platform that offers online counseling appointments.
- Proctorio gives students flexibility with online, secure exam proctoring within Canvas. Note: This tool currently works with Google Chrome.
- Learn how to record your name and designate pronouns within Canvas.